Stan Wawrinka says he’s ready for Australian Open after taking six months off due to injury

Tennis


MELBOURNE, Australia — Former Australian Open champion Stan Wawrinka says he’s ready for this year’s tournament, which begins next Monday, after being sidelined from competitive tennis for six months.

Wawrinka hasn’t played since Wimbledon. He had left knee surgery in August, which forced him to miss the US Open, at which he was the defending champion.

“Happy to be back on the tour and seeing the sun. Still a lot to do, but I’m feeling really positive, so looking forward to starting,” Wawrinka said Tuesday.

Wawrinka, who won the 2014 Australian Open, lost in the semifinals last year at Melbourne Park to eventual champion Roger Federer.

Wawrinka is set to join Novak Djokovic, Nick Kyrgios and Lleyton Hewitt in the Tie Break Tens tournament on Wednesday at Margaret Court Arena. Each match is a 10-point tiebreak.



Source link

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Zach LaVine returns for Bulls in win
Keith Jackson was the sound of college football
Villarreal stun Real Madrid as Atletico hold on to win in La Liga
Queensland Reds halfback Nick Frisby signs for Top 14 club Bordeaux
Dan Gurney tribute – 1931

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *